Yesterday we headed back up to San Diego to see one of our favorite doctors. Peanut’s
ENT at Rady’s, Dr. Brigger. He is an amazing doctor! She loves him and he always does so great with her. He was the one who removed her tonsils and adenoids and discovered her narrow trachea.
We weren’t sure what to expect at yesterdays appointment. We know she needs to have her trachea repaired. We know he wants to try to do it before her ASD is fixed this summer. But other than that, there is no plan in place.
He started off the same way he does every appointment. He checked and cleaned her ears. Not sure if you know this or not, but children with DS are prone to have a lot of wax buildup in their ears. A lot of this comes from having the narrow ear canal. So each time he sees her, he uses a small scraper, holds her down, and cleans her ears. Usually, it doesn’t bother her much. With the exception of being held down, she actually does great for her doctors. It’s a simple procedure and doesn’t hurt her at all. Yesterday though, you would have thought he was cutting her ear open. She screamed, yelled and cried the entire time. Only stopping once she was up in our arms again, all smiles and giggles.
Because of the screaming though, he was able to hear her airways when she gets worked up. (Dr. Brigger, we hear that pretty often, stop by anytime!) He was actually pleased with how she sounded. Apparently, loud is good.
He is insistent that we do another sleep study. We tried to explain that if she slept the 5 hours they need to monitor, we probably wouldn’t be seeing him. He didn’t think that was reason enough. So now I have to schedule another one…they will hook her to about a million wires and monitors, put her in a strange crib and tell her to go to sleep. I’m sure Juan will have fun with that. 🙂 Nope…we’ll both be there. We have this “If I’m going down, I’m taking you with me” kind of relationship. lol
He also wants to wait to see how her appointment with her cardiologist, Dr. Fagan, goes in March. She will be having an EKG and Echocardiogram done to determine the plan for her surgery. Both doctors will work out a plan and go from there.
I’m not sure what the trachea surgery installs, but we have a feeling its pretty invasive. We think that is why he is trying to push it back and consult with Dr. Fagan first. These are two very big procedures she needs to have done, but that I am dreading! I can’t imagine how the recovery will be!
So now we just wait. March will be a big month for us. As well as February, we have a big youth trip as well as hosting The Night to Shine in our area. Sometime this year you might catch Juan and me in a coma from exhaustion. Not sure if that fits into the schedule though….